The Resurrection of Jesus
Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life" ... (John 11:25).
The resurrection is the Christian doctrine that was followed by the disciples, the faith of every true believer,
the courage of every martyr, the topic of every sermon, and the power of every believer sharing the word of God.
In the book of Acts, Jesus presented Himself alive, after His suffering on the cross,
over a period of 40 days - with many convincing proofs of His resurrection to first hand witnesses, sharing things of the Kingdom of God.
1. After the resurrection Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene (John 20:11-18).
V18 - Mary said, "I have seen the Lord" ... She was the first missionary.
2. He appeared to women returning from the tomb - Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Matthew 28:1-10).
V10 - Jesus said to them "go and take word to my brethren ..."
3. He appeared to Peter (Luke 24:34), saying, "The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon."
(Peter: his name was changed from Simon to Peter).
4. On the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13 - 31). V25 - He (Jesus) said
"O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all the prophets have spoken!"
5. To the Apostles (Thomas not present) (Luke 24:36-43). V39 - "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself: touch Me and see,
for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."
6. To over 500 believers (1 Corinthians 15:6). V6 - "After, He appeared to more than 500 brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, ..."
7. He was seen by James (1 Corinthians 15:7), "Then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles;"
8. Jesus was seen again by 11 of the apostles (Matthew 28:16-17) and (Acts 1:3-12). Matthew 28:17 "when they saw Him, they worshiped Him".
Acts 1:3 "To these He (Jesus) presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them (11 apostles)
over a period of 40 days and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God."
There are a total of 10 recorded appearance of Jesus after His resurrection. This is about history, do
you believe history? Even some of the disciples questioned Jesus, they wanted more evidence.
Matthew 28:17 "Some were doubtful". Matthew 28:18 "Jesus came up and spoke to them ...".
If one is willing to read the Word of God, His love letter to you and I, it will have an impact in our lives.
The only thing that will hinder this will be unbelief. Jesus was before a crowd (Mark 9:14-24) and a father called to Jesus.
He had a son with seizuers from childhood. The father cried out from the crowd,
V24 "Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, 'I believe; help me with my unbelief'."
Can you identify with that father?
There is a very important Bible verse that will help us with this problem of unbelief.
We all need help with the fact that Jesus was not only a person like you and I but through His resurrection
is proven to be the Son of God. So God gave us Ephesians 2:8 - 9 "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith;
and not that of yourselves, it is the gift of God: not of works, so that no one may boast."
How much faith did God give us to get us started? Enough! How does this faith grow? Romans 10:17 - "So, faith comes from hearing,
and hearing the Word of Christ". Question, am I willing to invest my time in searching / hearing / reading the word of God?
God has promised that, if we do, our lives will be changed and transformed by Him - if only we will start searching without doubting.
The next entry will be "infallible proofs" according to circumstantial evidence that we can identify with!